13 October 2014

Gingerbread Latte

This hardly qualifies as a recipe, but I wanted to share how I make my own gingerbread lattes. We don't have Costas or Starbucks here in Luxembourg (sob) so I had to figure something out to get my gingerbread latte fix. I know it's not quite "in season" yet, but that's the beauty of doing it yourself. 
We actually bought a gingerbread syrup a few months ago and I was so excited to use it but I found it was rather disappointing. It smelt amazing but didn't taste at all like a gingerbread latte after adding one teaspoon of syrup and the more I added, the sweeter it got obviously. So I came up with a simple, alternative method to get that lovely gingerbread taste but without making the drink unbearably sweet. Anyone can make it as the ingredients I use are usually the kind that everyone has somewhere in their cupboards anyway. There's no faffing about trying to make a syrup, you just put everything straight into the mug. You can use whichever coffee and milk that you like, it's all personal preference. Also depending on the size of your mug, you might want to add more or less of the spices (my mug is more on the larger size).
Enjoy!
Ingredients:

Coffee of your choice
Half a mug of milk 
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger 
A pinch of ground nutmeg
1-2 tsp sugar (it's up to you though!)
Chocolate powder or cinnamon to sprinkle over the top
Whipped cream (optional)

Serves 1

Make your coffee according to the instructions. Choose your mug (vital step!) and pour in the sugar, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon.  Add the coffee and fill the mug halfway, then mix it all together really well with a spoon. Now for the important part! Heat up the milk in a microwave for a minute and then make it frothy. I prefer using one of those fancy mini electric whisks (mine is from IKEA and was super cheap) or you could use a milk frother if you have one but a standard whisk or a teaspoon will work too, your milk just won't be as frothy. Pour in the heated milk and mix it all together, then carefully spoon the frothy part of the milk into the mug. Top with a little bit of chocolate powder or cinnamon to make it look really fancy and special. If you know how to make shapes with it then do, because that just makes it look even more amazing and professional. I can't because my precision skills are basically nonexistent. If you want to go all out and treat yourself even more then add some whipped cream. And now you have a yummy coffee and you didn't even have to leave your house to go and get it! Drink and enjoy! (At this point, I should probably just rename my blog the lazy girl's guide to life.) (I just checked, it already exists. Curses.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)