28 October 2014

Halloween Look

Hi everyone,
It's almost Halloween, which is really exciting! I used to always love getting dressed up but the last few years I haven't done anything special for Halloween, so this year I decided I would change that. I practiced my make up last week and thought I should blog about it, since obviously involved using a lot of make up. It was a lot of fun to do, if not a little time consuming (30-45 minutes!). As you may or may not know, my skin is quite sensitive and I don't like using cream or liquid face products, so for this look I mostly used powders. It's a lot messier than if you were to use cream or liquid products, but I actually like that effect. Halloween looks are never meant to look perfect and clean. It's also all about trial and error and looking back, I would change a few things. But for now I will talk you through which products I used and how I applied them. I chose a colour theme (black, purple, dark red) and tried to stick to it, but ended up adding some shimmery silver which made it less flat. 

Products: 
NARS Pro Prime Eyeshadow Base
MAC eyeshadow in Dark Brown
MAC eyeshadow in Cranberry
Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette Nooner, Darkside & Blackheart
Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette Verve, Busted & Blackout
Hema Liquid Liner
Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil in Zero
Maybelline Mega Plush Mascara
Chanel Inimitable Mascara
MAC Captive lipstick

I started by doing the eyes. I did the same thing on both sides, despite the fact that one eye would later be covered in dark eyeshadow. I used a primer and then applied Dark Brown and Nooner in the crease and Cranberry all over the lid and blended them out. I later added Verve on the lid, but only on the visible side. Then I used my liquid liner to create a feline flick in both the inner and outer corner of the eye and then continued that line on the top and bottom lash line. I smudged some Dark Brown and Nooner on the bottom lash line, as I didn't like how intense the liquid liner looked on it's own. I would recommend applying mascara when you've almost finished the whole look. I applied several coats so that my lashes would stand out a bit more. 
I used a pencil liner to draw a faint circle around one of my eyes, starting just over the eyebrow and then filled it in with a mix of Cranberry, Darkside, Busted and Blackheart. Then using my liquid liner, I drew little petals over the circle. I filled them in using Verve. On the other side, I did a few more petals over my eyebrow and added a few dots using the liner and Verve. I then drew some squiggles and spirals around my eye, again adding dots. 
I used Cranberry and Dark Brown to contour my cheekbones and my temples and then got a bit carried away and managed to put it all over my forehead. I blended them up to my cheeks and used Blackout to intensify the contoured areas. Then I started to draw the rose with liquid liner and I'm not going to lie, it took me several tries to get it right. I started with a circle in the middle and built it out from there by drawing angular petals all around it. I filled it in with Cranberry and added some more Verve on several of the petals. (I would suggest using filling in the area where you plan on drawing the rose first as it was quite hard to fill it in afterwards.) Then I drew more spirals coming out of the rose and added some thorns. 
I used the pencil liner to draw a tear drop on my nose and filled it in. Then I applied Blackout and Blackheart over the top to set it. Sticking with the dark red/purple theme, I used Captive on my lips and then used some Blackout on the center. For the teeth, I used the liquid liner to draw some lines over my lips and extended them out past my lips. Then I drew lines over the contoured part of the cheek and connected them to the "teeth". I added more spirals and dots and decided to end there. 
To make this look creepy, I decided to add a white contact lense. I really liked the contrast of having a white eye amidst all the dark eyeshadow.
Have a great Halloween! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting :)