23 November 2011

Spaghetti alla Carbonara...But Not Really

This is going to be another recipe. It's not exactly real Carbonara, and I'm sure most Italians would probably slap me for calling it that but oh well. Mum and I have changed this recipe over and over so that it's just how we like it. I usually use brown pasta, but this was all I had today. I also added peas at the end, because I love peas and I wanted some vegetable with it. I'm aware it doesn't really sound like it goes but if you like peas, then it does.

Ingredients:

1 small onion or 1/2 a big one
2 garlic cloves
250g chopped bacon
350g dried spaghetti (or fresh, it's up to you)
100 g parmesan cheese
250-300g light crème fraiche
pepper
This will serve 4 plus leftovers :)


Fill a large deep pan just over halfway with water and add a little bit of salt and olive oil. Then leave it to boil.
While you're waiting, peel and then chop the onion and the garlic into small pieces.


Then put the bacon in a frying pan, without adding any extra oil, because the natural oil of the bacon will come out anyway. After it's just starting to crisp, add the garlic and onion, because by adding it later it won't burn with the bacon. 

Once the water has boiled, you can add the spaghetti. I usually check how long it takes before doing anything else, so you have to time it well.


When the spaghetti is almost done, and the bacon, garlic and onion is cooked and softened, then you can turn the heat right down and add the cream and the parmesan to the bacon. Mix it all in, so that the cheese melts nicely, then drain your spaghetti and add it to the sauce. I then put it back in the bigger, deep pan, because it's easier to serve that way. Put some pepper on top, and voila, it's done!


Buon appetito!

3 comments:

  1. Awww this is an italian recipe!!!I cook them,they're so good (: but we mix the bacon with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH! I need to make this, looks so delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Audrey Most people do use eggs, I'm just weird haha
    @Debbie thank you!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting :)